Saturday 25 February 2012

Project 6: Watercolour Wet on Wet

Wet on Wet Sample Six

Paper: Crawford & Black @ 220gsm
Paint: Winsor & Newton Cotman (Tubes)

As I have already done a reproduction of this in Oil Pastels which can be seen in under Oil Pastels  I thought it would be an excellent image to do using the wet on wet technique. As the ink ran on sample five I have drawn the image using a  Watersoluble Graphitone Pencil which should just wash away. Underneath you can see the painting which everything has gone wrong, I knew I shouldn’t have chosen watercolour. I decided that the colours where too weak so I added another layer of red paint this has made a very crisp edge. I am going to have to use stronger colours with less water in the mix. I might give it another go and try again and see if it improves. I really want the colour of the horse more intense and crisper then the background. I might try just wetting the paper once rather than wetting it twice as I’m sure that’s what’s diluting the colours.
















Wet on Wet Sample Seven: A Rookie Mistake

Paper: Crawford & Black @ 220gsm
Paint: Winsor & Newton Cotman (Tubes)

I have just notice I have done a rookie mistake, for the last sample I’ve actual done the painting on the wrong side of the paper. Sometimes it’s hard to spot the difference in the sides if it hasn’t any watermarks or both the sides are similar in texture. However in this case the correct side is a lot rougher then the wrong side and can be spotted a mile off. I questioned if painting on the wrong side of the paper would look any different then if the painting was done on the the correct side. The texture would be different of course but I also wanted to know if it would modify the paint in any way so I would notice the difference if I were standing further away from the paper. On Wet on Wet Sample Seven which is below I have taken two pieces of watercolour paper one the right side and one the wrong side. I have painted them both at the same time with the same amount of paint and water, and I think the results speak for themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment