Sunday 15 July 2012

Project 8: Still Life with Background: Primary Ideas

Another Possible Idea for the Final Piece…

The second idea also connected with having my niece for the last couple of weeks. The youngest of my children is 13 and hasn’t played with bath toys for quite a few years. When my five year old niece wanted a bath and demanded bath toys or she wasn’t having a bath she had to make do with a couple of empty bottles. The very next day I went out and bought her a couple of bath sets with toys and that kept her happy for at least an hour.
The idea isn’t just a drawing of some bath toys it does have a meaning. The recently lost my mother a couple of months ago and this image to me is a mother separated from her baby who is just out of reach, however she is still there and can watch other her baby. In the reflections on the tap there will be a door and to me all you have to do is go through the door but of course you can’t it’s a reflection.

In the background there were already bathroom tiles so I didn’t have to worry about what to do for the background as it already had one. I quickly filled the tiles in with watered down acrylic paint, I wasn’t being too careful as it would just be the under painting. For now I’m keeping with the original colours of the bath toys, the duck is a very vivid magenta colour.
















There are two toy ducklings in the still life a yellow one and a blue one. The blue one I will more likely than not change its colour as it is blending in with the colour on the titles in the background also the colours are not really working together. The bath was painted in with a different blue but to be honest there isn’t really that much of a difference between the bath colour and the tiles. At least most of the white of the paper has now been painted over, I’ve started laying a thin layer of paint on the tap so I can still see where the reflections still go. Also the blue baby duckling was change to yellow so it matched the other one. The magenta mother duck was made paler by adding gesso into the mix and I continued to work on the tap some more. I’m happy with the way the piece is going I just need to sort out one or two bits that are still bothering me.















DON'T FORGET TO CLICK THE IMAGES AGAIN ONCE THEY HAVE LOADED FOR A LARGER IMAGE...

Finished Study 02…
The piece isn’t finished there’s a lot more to do to it before you can call it finished. It’s only a preliminary panting I’ve still got the reflections to do in the tap and I need to put on the pieces that hold the pipe to the wall and add the chain for the plug. As the time is ticking by and I only have a short time to do the final piece I’m going to call it a day on this painting. I’m finally happy with the colour of the mother duck I just used the complementary colour of the tiles and I’m happy with it. It has taken around 6 hours to do this piece from a blank piece of paper. I do like the idea but I want to look at the other photographs I have of the bath toys. I’ve kept the image simplified and there’s not a lot going on as there was in the first idea where it was a lot busier.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment