Sunday 15 July 2012

Project 7: Townscape with Buildings and Figures, Project 7

It Must be time to add some colour…


I’m now 90% happy with the complete drawing, there is still one or two of the figures I’m still not totally happy with. If the drawing isn’t correct then the painting won’t have a chance, I have spent far too long on the drawing but it has come a long way since the Oil Studies, the characters have improved significantly. I’m going to start with a turpsy wash of oil paints to give it chance to dry and also to kill the white of the canvas.


The image so far, the buildings have been blocked in with oil and have dried, also the characters have been added.
Most of the white of the canvas have now been filed in with a very thin layer of Oil paint mixed with linseed oil to let it dry quicker as an under painting. I can change colours later by either glazing or wiping the oil off and starting again. 

These are the most foreground characters, these will have to have more detail in the figures, the boy behind hasn’t been filled in as I want to change him and make him larger as he’s too small compared to his mother which is holding his hand.

Here are close ups of the other major figures that are in the foreground. The painting is just an under painting further layers will be added on top once the under painting has dried off a bit.


Here I am working on the image, I’m using a pole that was taken from an old broom which you can extend to make longer. I find this easy to use then a Mahlstick and it extends longer so I can lean it on the shelf or the easel rather than on the canvas itself.


These images show the street cleaner, the first image was before the paint whilst the second one has the oil paint added quite thickly. I like this image it’s not very detailed and you can see the brush strokes.
These images show the street cleaner, the first image was before the paint whilst the second one has the oil paint added quite thickly. I like this image it’s not very detailed and you can see the brush strokes.


This image shows the second layer of oil paint on the old lady in the foreground.
I  was getting paint all over my hands so I decided to wipe away the pavement and road, I’ll add this in last as I keep touching it. I wanted to have another look through the tram driver’s window so I started to add Debenhams shop front windows and made them paler as you were looking at them through class. 

No comments:

Post a Comment