Sunday 15 July 2012

Project 7: Townscape with Buildings and Figures, Project 7

Is it Time to Paint Yet?
I have now got an A1 Canvas Panel with a decent enough drawing on of the buildings and a tram, however I don't have any Characters on the canvas nor do I have any paint on the Canvas. I think the best thing is to paint the buildings and the background with a turpsy paint mix to give the under painting a chance to dry. Im taking a real chance in doing this painting in Oils apart from the two studies I have only used Oils once before and I have a lot of skills to learn.


The image is now on the Canvas Board, it doesn't have colour nor does it have and people on.
The drawing is now ready to have a bit of colour added to the canvas. The background was painted with a turpsy mix to give it a chance to dry a bit.
Whilst I was waiting for it to dry I decided I had to start on the characters, I started off by using the two that were already in the original photograph, however I brought them closer to each other.
All of the people are from the images I took on my camera from Manchester I believe I did use two of the characters in the background which were from Stockport.
Around Manchester you will find plenty of street cleaners but not a lot of bins.
More people were added but it was taking a while to select the correct characters that I want in my picture. Once I found them I had to figure out where to place them in the picture close in the foreground or further away in the background.
I’ve added different age groups as I was surprised when I looked through the photographs I took how many elderly people were in Manchester city centre.
I have added plenty of shoppers in my painting.
This is the image that has been transferred on to the canvas board, I had to remove some of the lines which were already there, I painted them over with a soft synthetic brush with Gesso. I think its coming along and getting there, there are still one or two things I need to look at before blocking them in.





Overall I’m quite happy with most of the characters, I wanted some of them to interact with others but I also wanted a few of the characters looking out to the viewers. If you look at Lowey’s work his characters are also doing something, kids mucking around up to mischief. I want the viewer to say what she looking at or what’s he up to. I didn’t just want a line a people with heads down doing nothing. I’ve added different age groups as I was surprised when I looked through the photographs I took how many elderly people were in Manchester city centre. I even remember how proud my mum was whom passed a few weeks ago during this project which hit me for six was so proud that she went to Manchester by herself and went to Primark, she even put it on her Facebook status.

No comments:

Post a Comment