Textiles is not for me I really don’t want anything to do with it however I decided that I had to do something just to get it out of the way. I decided it would be easy just to make a college out of textiles; I took my latest painting which was an abstract version of Stewart Little in a Wellington which can be seen in the painting section. I started off by transferring the image to another canvas board; I have loads of them they only cost 90p each so I don’t mind wasting a few. I then took some appropriate material from college and cut up a load of clothes that no longer fitted the children, these were bagged up and ready to be given to charity but my art came first this time.
PLEASE DOUBLE CLICK IMAGES FOR THE LARGEST IMAGE
I applied some strong PVA glue and glued material to pieces of card once it was dry I cut out the required shapes. I found this way easier than just cutting the material as it left the edges jagged and frayed by not gluing it to card first. It was then a simple process of laying material on top of each other to produce the 3D effect I was after. These are a few macro photographs o show the material I used. On the next page there’s a photograph of the completed textile piece. Now this is out of the way I hope never to return I’ll stick with a pencil and paintbrush.
Finished textile piece of Stewart Little Abstract, the original is on canvas board and measures 50x40cm.