Sunday 13 November 2011

Project 5: Explosion of Colour

Final Design Part Two:



Now I’ve added a darker colour on the sea I feel it’s going in the right direction, it has also brought out the reflection of the sun in the sea. I’m not far off finishing, depends how fussy I get with all the details. The sand has had another coat of Yellow Ochre, I have tried dabbing the paintbrush rather than using small brushstrokes just to try and make it slightly different to the strokes in the sea.



I’ve tried my best with the flag, its only half inch wide and it looks reasonable from a distance. I decided to add the flag so the viewer has a bit of a clue where the painting has been done. I find it hard to control the paintbrush with the texture on the canvas, it seems to go nowhere I want it. I suppose I could smooth that bit out by adding a mix of white paint and structure gel then smooth that part out to remove the texture, this will give it a smooth surface for the flag.



I’m beginning to think I should have done the drawing with a pencil rather than going straight at it with a paintbrush. After looking at the photograph there’s a few bits in this particular area that needs refining I won’t be happy with it until its put right.


I decided to keep the phone box the original red; it just didn’t feel right changing the colour of it. Its coming together now but there’s still a few details that are shouting at me that need refining. However I still think it’s come a long way since starting the picture this morning. I’m sure it will look ok from a very far distance, it’s not meant to be viewed at close range.  

Hopefully this will be the last image I take until it’s finished; I need to get to a point where I can put the paintbrush down. I keep walking away for a bit than when I get back I see the painting differently and something else needs altering.  I’ve also bought a tin of spray picture varnish by Pebeo, I have never used the stuff before but I will be trying out on this canvas panel.

No comments:

Post a Comment